Productivity tricks for small-business owners – Business Insider
To help you out, we scoured the web for the most practical and insightful advice on getting things done. Read on for tips on prioritizing tasks, managing digital distractions, making decisions, and more.
Productivity guru Tim Ferriss used this technique to increase sales and cut his hours when he was running a small online supplement company called BrainQuicken.
The point of the exercise is to highlight the most important things you should be focusing on. First, you figure out the 20% of activities that are producing 80% of desired results. Then, you figure out the 20% of activities that are taking up 80% of your time.
It’s important for small-business owners to keep abreast of the latest news in the area where they work. But reading every newsletter the minute it arrives in your inbox could be hurting your productivity.
When you own a small business, there are dozens of people and projects vying for your time and attention. It’s hard to figure out where to focus your resources and easy to become overwhelmed.
1. Schedule monthly 80-20 analyses.
2. Keep your list of priorities short.
3. Sideline nonurgent emails.
4. Restrict meetings to 30 minutes.
5. Spend at least one day a month thinking about the long term.
6. Plan your day around your emotions and energy levels.
7. Learn to delegate.
8. Avoid analysis paralysis.
9. Have one meeting-free day every week.
10. Create a comfortable workspace.
11. Make your health a priority.